Joen Yö 2018 – Night by the River Festival
Culture for everyone in Joensuu
The festival will be held on Friday the 24th of August and the events will be spread around the city centre by the banks of the river Pielisjoki. The festival offers something for everyone: something to listen to, see, smell and taste. The Venetian inspired atmosphere will be enhanced by a spectacular bonfire that will light the darkening August evening in the middle of the Ilosaari lagoon.
As always, the event will provide a dose of culture to all the residents around the river city. You can enter your own event by contacting the producer of the festival.
Joen Yö -festival provides culture and art spectacles around the city for people of all ages – and with no entrance fees.
IloAreena is a new kind of discussion forum event that brings something new to the traditional programme of the Joen Yö -festival by bringing up on the stage of Ilosaari topics that concern North Karelia and Joensuu. IloAreena discussion forum helps us ponder future, see our strengths and new possibilities. Discussions will be energetically led by Jani Halme. The forum is offered to the audience free of charge and it consists of three 20 minutes long panel discussions in the early evening. The topics are “Inviting city centre”, “Karelian culture and sports cocktail” and “How can we sell this?” As our panellists we have Ari Mononen, Sari Kaasinen, Katja Asikainen and Markus Hirvonen.
The highlights of the festival will the lighting of the bonfire at the Ilosaari lagoon at 23.30 o’clock, the fire show performance by Sirkus Supiainen and the concert of Samae Koskisen Korvalääke.
In Ilosaari it is possible for friends of good beers and wines to taste drinks from different breweries and wine producers. The breweries and wine producers that will participate in the event are Iso-Kallan Panimo, Waahto, Panimo Honkavuori, Hermannin Viinitila, Rock Paper Scissors Indie Brewery, Altia and Solera.
The festival’s official after party will be held in the restaurant Kerubi at 00.00-04.30 o’clock. The event’s age limit is 18. Free entrance during the whole night.
- 17.00 Iloareena
- 18.45 Boyar
- 20.00 Rorschächin Tahrat
- 21.15 Rytmihäiriköt
- 22.30 Pate Friman & Orient Express
- 23.30 Lighting of bonfire and fire show performance by Sirkus Supiainen
- 24.00 Samae Koskisen Korvalääke
- 16.00-19.00 Arctic Trainers gives you a chance to try standup paddleboarding for free every half an hour.
- 14.00-22.00 Children can do crafts, foam weapon fencing, try out their luck at the fortune wheel, create art together and take masquerade selfies in the area especially designed for them. You will also have a chance to admire the city on a motor boat ride at 14.00-19.00 o’clock.
- Organized together with Joensuu Youth Services, Youth Parliament, Ohjaamo Joensuu, Mannun Vartijat ry and Nuorisoverstas ry.
Handcraft and Culture Quarter Taitokortteli
- 13.00-22.00 Make great findings throughout the years at the Red Cross’ Pop Up Second-Hand Store. Sydänlanka Association will offer taste samples and sell amongst other things kombucha and wild pesto. Soaps, candles, art cards and other small knick-knacks will also be for sale. The craft centre will display craft samples of a special acorn basket and a flower meadow canvas work embroidery. Familiarise yourself with the courses that are available in the autumn! Café Kauppaneuvos will be open till late midnight. The boutiques and the café in the quarter will serve you from the early morning till late in the evening. The boutiques will be open till 22.00 o’clock and the café till 24.00 o’clock
TAITOKORTTELI PIHA-AITTA BUILDING
Great offers at the summer boutique!
Family House arranges fun dancing with soap bubbles at 15 and 17 o’clock and you can draw with street crayons at 15-17 o’clock. Family House will be open at 9.00-19.00 o’clock.
Joensuu City Theatre
Joensuu City Theatre’s open rehearsals during the festival on Friday 24th of August at 18.30-20.30 o’clock:
Rehearsal of the play Rouva Stroganova (”Mrs. Stroganova”) on the grand stage (2th floor) and rehearsal of the play Stalin’s Cows on the small stage (4th floor). There will be a short break between the rehearsals. Free entrance, welcome!
”Mrs. Stroganova is a hilarious comedy about a talented Russian woman who tries to harness a small Finnish village into the use of international tourist market. Who does she think she is?”
”Sofi Oksanen’s powerful and epic first novel Stalin’s Cows will be seen for the first time as a theatrical adaptation. It describes the lives of three women from different generations and societies, both in the communistic Estonia and the capitalistic Finland.
“Stalin’s Cows is also a ruthless story about a life controlling and defining eating disorder, the power of the feelings shame and unworthiness and the impossibility of being a woman.”
Address: Joensuu City Theatre, City Hall, Rantakatu 20, 80100 Joensuu.
THEATRE RESTAURANT’S GLASS TERRACE
- 17.00 Band Lempo
- 18.00 Band Kvartsi
- 18.30 Joensuun Laulu
- 19.15 Band Kaiutin
- 20.15 Joensuun Laulupelimannit
- 21.15 Anna Lumo
STREET FOOD CARNEVAL VOL.5
During the festival you can buy all kinds of delicious food in the proximity of the theatre restaurant at 16.00-20.00 o’clock.
Rantapuisto Riverside Parks
- 17.00 Clovns
- 16.00-18.00 Racecourse with the hobby horse of your dreams
- 16.00-19.00 Kide Science Club
- 17.00-20.00 American Football Association Wolves tells about the sport, a chance to try play football non-stop.
REIVIKONTTI ”RAVE BOOTH”
Acid Garco II does different genres of electronic music with return to twists of the 90s acid house and techno as their speciality. Music will be played by Fiktio DJs, DJ Curry and special guests. You can find schedules and more info on Fiktio’s Facebook page. The rave booth will thunder with music in the riverside park behind the city hall at 18.00-22.00 o’clock. The event is free and has no age limit.
KURKKAA KESÄÄN! -EVENT
13.00-18.00: The goal of the Kurkkaa kesään -event is to highlight places and things in Joensuu that are important for people. We are looking for photos and stories by utilising those important factors from our everyday life that give us strength on bad days. We will put up a photo exhibition where all participants can produce content with different kinds of frames and props. This event is part of the project “Virkeyttä Vihreästä” by Joensuu 4-H organisation.
The Bluenotes will perform their traditional Joen Yö -festival show in the restaurant Tuulaaki at 19.00 o’clock. Free entrance.
For the Joen Yö -festival the restaurant Pakkahuone will serve a special dinner:
INDIAN DINNER AT 19 O’CLOCK IN THE RESTAURANT PAKKAHUONE
Pakkahuone will offer an Indian dinner with ten amazing short performances for 20 people who make a reservation in advance. The dinner and the performances will start at 19 o’clock and during one hour you will enjoy a special Indian feast biriyani with 17 different spices (vegetarian and chicken options), mango lassi, coffee and something sweet.
The programme consists of ten art performances: poetry, dance, brain teasers, stories about a bicycle, a potato and a war veteran’s house, a fencing show, acrobatics…
The programme was first supposed to be “An Italian Breakfast at 19 o’clock” but Time, Coincidence and Fate came into play and now instead we will be serving a dinner with performances free of charge.
Reservations: during office hours (Mon-Fri 10-14) tel. 050 3803149 or email: email@example.com.
UNDER THE SUVANTOSILTA BRIDGE
- 18.00 Steel pan orchestra Rosteri
- 19.30 Improvisation group Rajatapaus
- 20.00-22.00 Salsa Del Este:
- Freestyle dance Salsa del Este gives lessons in basics of salsa dancing at 20-20.30 o’clock. Lessons are free. More info: Salsa Del Este
RESTAURANT WANHA AITTA
- 18.00 Slow Down Trio feat. Paula
- 19.30 Stonehills
STAGE BY THE STREET ELIELINKUJA
- 17.00 That Moonage Voodoo
- 18.00 Duo Wiljami
- 19.00 Improvisation group Ähäkutti
- 20.15 Kettublaster
- 21.45 Narration
KUUNARI ELINA BOAT RESTAURANT
21.00 and 22.30 Queen Killer
AIR QUALITY BIKE MADE BY THE UNIVERSITY OF EASTERN FINLAND
During the festival there is a special electric bike on the move equipped with sensors that measure air quality. The sensors collect data on the air quality in Joensuu. The bike will be ridden by the summer time workers of the city of Joensuu. The air quality bike is a joint project by the University of Eastern Finland, the city of Joensuu and the Finnish Environment Institute. You can follow the movements of the bike on Instagram with the hashtags #myjoensuu and #ilmalaatufillari.
During the festival the association boulevard will be filled with different kinds of associations from Joensuu and North Karelia. You can learn about their activity at 16-22 o’clock. The following associations will be present on the boulevard:
- AIVO Aikuisopiskelun tieto-, neuvonta- ja ohjauspalvelut (Adult education information, counselling and guiding services)
- Automobile and Touring Club of Finland, Joensuu unit
- Joensuu Pentecostal congregation
- Settlement of Joensuu
- Joensuun seudun Diabetes ry (Joensuu area’s Diabetes Association)
- Joensuu area’s special learners
- Joensuun seudun vapaa-ajattelijat ry (Joensuu area’s Union of Freethinkers)
- Joensuun seurakuntayhtymä (Joensuu Congregation Association) / youth work and special youth work at Saapastoiminta
- Blue Reform Party in Joensuu
- Left Alliance Party’s group in Joensuu
- The Greens’ Party in Joensuu
- Finnish Centre Youth in North Karelia region
- Coalition Party’s local association in Joensuu
- North Karelia’s Youth Associations
- Parempi avioliitto ry (Better Marriage Association)
- Pohjois-Karjalan historiallinen yhdistys ry (North Karelia’s Historical Association)
- Christian Democratic Party’s local association in North Karelia
- P-K:n Munuais- ja maksayhdistys (Kidney and Liver Association in North Karelia
- Rantakylä congregation
- Sanaratas ry
- Savo-Karjalan Luonto-Liitto (Nature League in Savonia and Karelia regions)
- Social Democratic Party in Finland and Social Democratic Youth
- Skepsis ry
- Suomen Mensa ry (Mensa Finland)
- Ultrajuoksuseura Sisu (Ultramarathon Association Sisu)
- Joensuu Rotary Club and disaster relief tent
JOENSUU CITY ORCHESTRA ON A JOURNEY INTO MUSIC, CARELICUM LOBBY AT 14.30 AND 16.00 O’CLOCK
The orchestra will start their autumn season at the Joen Yö -festival on Friday 24th of August at 14.30 and 16.00 o’clock with free concerts in the Carelicum lobby. The orchestra will be conducted by Huba Hollókői. The programme will include amongst other things extracts from The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart that will have its premier next January. The programme will be performed by Jukka Romu, Marjatta Airas and Markus Nieminen.
Organised together with Joensuu Opera Association.
18.00-20.00 Poetry platter. Friends of poetry will read aloud poems according to the wishes of the audience who will be given a list of poems on the spot.
NORTH KARELIAN MUSEUM HILMA
17.00 Mythical journey – photographer Heikki Willamo tells about his exhibition (1st floor). Presentation of the new mobile application, On a journey in Karelia -exhibiton (2nd floor) at 12.00-13.00 and 18.00-19.00 o’clock. The museum will be open at 10.00-21.00 o’clock. Free entrance to the museum and Mukulatu for children.
Art Museum Onni
The art museum’s summer exhibition Womanhood gives many different points of view about being a woman. The exhibition consists of humoristic and identifiable sculptures by Kerttu Horila and thought-provoking collages and a video art work by Ilona Niemi. The collections in the second and the third floor include art from the antique era and China, masterpieces of the Finnish painting since 1850s and European church art.
15.00 GUIDED TOUR FOR THE WOMANHOOD EXHIBITION
During this guided tour you will learn more about the works of the Womanhood exhibition and their background. The tour will last appr. 30 minutes.
17.00–20.00 ILONA NIEMI, POP UP PORTRAIT WORKSHOP, PROJECT ROOM
Artist Ilona Niemi will create in her unique portrait workshop animal themed portraits with the museum visitors as her inspiration! Register on the spot from 17 o’clock onwards. NB! Limited number of places that will be filled in the order of arriving.
- 16.00-17.00 Singers and accordionists from the Joensuu Conservatoire and Riverside Park Quintette.
- 17.00-18.00 Chamber choir Kaisku
- 18.00-18.45 Joensuu Dance School
- 18.45-19.30 Yhteenkietoutuneet
- 19.30-21.00 Open lessons in dance and somatics by ISLO
Art Centre Ahjo
The Art Centre Ahjo will be open at 11-22 o’clock.
16.00-19.00 Dance education by Riveria Outokumpu, Joensuu Conservatoire’s folk music studies
19.30-20.00 Akanvirta: the newly founded Akanvirta performed for the first time to Joensuu residents at the Joen Yö -festival 2017. We will again hear where one year of joy for singing, practicing, synchronization of 18 voices and performing led by the Master of Music Sanna Heikkinen will take them.
Parafest 2018 art exhibition 2.8–26.8.2018 in the Art Centre Ahjo
where you can see and experience the works of the English artist and media person Alison Lapper. On display will be paintings and photos by Lapper who paints with her mouth. You can also watch a documentary about the artist.
In 2005 the sculptor Marc Quinn created a grand sculpture of Alison Lapper called Alison Lapper Pregnant. The sculpture is a reference to the armless sculptures, torsos, of the antique era which are admired and highly valued. Quinn wanted to make such a sculpture of a person who was born with no arms and thus created a connection, opened a possibility for discussion and insight. The original sculpture that caused a fuss stood for a long time at Trafalgar Square. A giant copy was made out of this sculpture in 2012 for the opening ceremony of the Paralympics in London.
Lapper has been with or even as a topic in many TV documentaries. In 2016 she switched roles and created together with the photographer Rankin the TV programme No Body’s Perfect for BBC4. In the programme Rankin and Lapper interviewed people who were not happy with their bodies for various reasons. They then made an empowering series of photo shoots with each participant. Lapper has been together with her son Parys in the BBC’s documentary series Child of Our Time. In 2006 Alison Lapper published her book My Life in My Hands.
Joen Yö -festival’s more distant events
IN WOUTILA GALLERY DURING THE FESTIVAL (TULLIPORTINKATU 14)
During the festival Woutila will reveal four artists’ joint exhibition. The artists Kapu Matilainen, Lauri Kinanen, Susanna Räsänen and Emilia Hahl will take you to dark forests, surrealistic atmosphere and nightmarish landscapes through their works. One of the performers in the opening of the exhibition will be Böbökkä! In the cosy basement of Woutila you can enjoy on-stage poetry throughout the evening. Woutila will be open at 17.00-21.00 o’clock during the festival.
24.-25.8. Kimmel, Itäranta 1, 80100 Joensuu
Tattoo fair, tattooing contests and two days of exciting entertainment. Sickly good music and freakishly cool audience!!
Joensuu’s own tattooing fair will now be arranged for the fourth time in Kimmel. Once again, the nation’s most talented tattooing artists will participate in the event which will be accompanied by the coolest music. The main artist for Saturday will be SMC LÄHIÖROTAT and Big
Bangers DJs will take care of the great atmosphere for the duration of the whole party. Jump into the jungle of the Joenzoo Inkmania!
Here we go again in August! Tattooing is so much more than just pain and ink. Tattoos are life. At least during one weekend tattoos will create their own small universe in Joensuu when Joenzoo Inkmania takes over Kimmel.
More info and ticket prices: Joenzoo Ink Mania
SPORTS MARKET (JOENSUU ARENA AND SURROUNDING AREAS)
At the Sports Market arranged by the Matala Kynnys sports association you can easily familiarise yourself with various sports and associations that provide leisure activities. Stands are really practical, so you will get a real sample of their activities! Stands are meant for people of all ages and you can participate in the event free of charge. The Sports Market will be held at 17.00-20.00 o’clock. You are welcome to join us! The event is organised by Matala Kynnys ry together with the city of Joensuu.
LAULUTALO (SONG HOUSE) (KAUPPAKATU 51)
Men singing at the Joen Yö -festival. Small groups of both elderly and younger singers will perform at Laulutalo.
- 18.00 Presentation of Laulutalo
- 18.20 Joensuu Male Singers, seniors
- 18.45 coffee
- 19.00 Schönke-Dan & Huojuva Komppi
- 19.15 Pienet Sievät
- 19.30 Lauluyhtye Kvartsi
- 19.45 Quartettes performing together.
The event will end at 20.00 o’clock.
JOENSUUN REGIONAL LIBRARIES’ MAIN LIBRARY (KOSKIKATU 25)
- 14.00-18.00 traditional sales of books in the Muikku hall (1st floor). All books 0,50 €/book
- 18.00 Quiz by Not-So-Wise Men at the Square of Arts (2nd floor). The Library will also participate in the Association Boulevard. Come say hello to us in our travelling library!
TREETOP ADVENTURE PARK, SPORTS PARK (BEHIND THE ARENA)
Treetop Adventure Park will be open during the festival at 17.00-21.00 (if the weather is good). As the evening gets darker we will light the park with LED lamps and campfire. No need to bring your own lamps! We recommend you make reservations for the climbing areas in advance through our booking system. In addition to climbing, our programme also includes grilling sausages on a campfire. During the event two people get to climb with a single ticket price if you have made a reservation in advance. Watching the climbers down on the ground and visiting us won’t cost you anything!
CITY TRAIN TO THE ARENA, BOTANIA AND WOUTILA
The city train will drive between the Art Museum, Joensuu Arena, Woutila and Botania at 18.00-21.15 o’clock.
WAKE4BREAK (HASANNIEMENTIE 15)
Night Wake session a.k.a. wake racing till 00.00 o’clock on a lit racetrack. Sunset Sup Yoga at 19.00 o’clock and afterwards standup paddling on boards lit by LED lights.
SEURAKUNTAKESKUS (CONGREGATION CENTRE) ( KIRKKOKATU 28)
Crafts and music! The event will start at 16.00 o’clock. Come and redecorate old hymn books, learn how to make Mother Teresa patchworks, bio trash bags and try out other kinds of crafts. The boutique Duka will be open to make the world a bit better place. Rooibos tea and snacks will be served. Profits will go to Ulla Rissanen’s charity work in Tanzania. From 16.30 onwards congregation’s music groups will perform. The highlight of the evening will be the Heavy metal Mass in the big congregation hall at 21.00 o’clock. Free entrance. The event is organized by the Lutheran Church of Joensuu and the Joensuu Congregation.
DINNER BY THE MOONLIGHT
You are welcome to enjoy a dinner by the moonlight on the banks of the river Pielisjoki near the playground in Penttilänranta at 19.00-21.00 o’clock. A long table for one hundred people will be set up by the river and all the citizens are invited to enjoy together a dinner, beautiful surroundings and good company. You are expected to bring your own food and dishes. Reserve a seat at the table by 15.8.2018 in the address www.joensuunevl.fi/ilmoittaudu. The dinner is open for everyone and will not cost anything. We are hoping for a bright moonlight but expect to wear proper clothes in case of rain. The event is organised by the Lutheran Church of Joensuu and Pielisensuu Congregation.
YHTEISÖTALO (COMMUNITY HOUSE) SATAMA (YLÄSATAMANKATU 28)
- 12.30 Singalong! Led by members of Pielisjoki karaoke club.
- 14.00 decorating trees with knit graffiti.
- 16.00 creative and fun exercising outside.
- 17.00-19.00 live music. JSD, Karuselli and Heli Solonen conducted by Sepeli Sarkkinen. Plus other activities both inside and outside. The house will be open at 12.00-20.00 o’clock.
ORTODOKSISEN SEMINAARIN KIRKKO (CHURCH OF ORTHODOX SEMINAR) (TORIKATU 41)
14.00-19.00 The church will be open for those who want to calm down.
CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS/JOENSUU ORTHODOX CONGREGATION HALL (KIRKKOKATU 32)
- 14.00-18.00 The church will be open for those who want to calm down.
- 16.00-18.00 Vegetable soup 1€/portion in front of the church (welfare work)
- 17.00 and 17.30 Puppet show ”Keykeeper of Maria”, duration ca. 25 min. For kids over 2 years old.(the Orthodox congregation hall)
- 18.00 A hymn to the Creation
- 14.00-17.00 Control point walk for kids and families
ORTHODOX CULTURE CENTRE (KAUPPAKATU 44)
14.00-19.00 Culture Centre and the exhibitions ”The Journey of the Cross People” and ”Evacuee Stories” open. 17.00-18.00 At the Orthodox Culture Centre’s upper hall the exhibition ”Life in a Coptic Community in Egypt” by Helena Nikkanen, art conservator and icon painter.
JOENSUU BUNKER MUSEUM (VIRRANTAUS 7)
13.00-15.00, the programme consists of Joensuu Male Singers’ senior choir and Arto Tarkkonen’s music performance and of placing of a wreath on the monument in Veteraanipuisto. The Bunker Museum’s guide services will be available during the event. The event is organised by Pohjois-Karjalan Sotilaspoikien Perinnekilta ry (”Tradition Guild of Soldier Boys in North Karelia”).
RESTAURANT LA BARRE (TORIKATU 21)
Susiraja Metal Club ry and the restaurant La Barre will organise together the popular Heavy Jam event. You even have the possibility to sing or play songs you want with a live band. This means that the night will be filled with great metal/rock covers. More info about the Facebook event: Joen Yö: hevijamit vol 4. Tickets 2 €.
AT JOEN YÖ -FESTIVAL BOTANIA GOES JAZZ! (HEINÄPURONTIE 70)
Botania celebrates the Joen Yö -festival by offering its visitors jazz music played by the pianist Simo Loikkanen from 19.00 o’clock onwards. In addition there will be great offers in foods and drinks at Botania.
INTERIOR DESIGN SHOP TURKOOSI (KAUPPAKATU 19)
Art exhibition by Minna Aulassaari: TERRA. A macramé lantern installation will be displayed on the shop window, plus lots of different kinds of local and international artisan designs to see.
OPEN DOORS TO JOENSUUN ELLI’S WOODEN APARTMENT BUILDING
Joensuun Elli’s wooden apartment building (Penttilänkulma 2).
Come and see how Finland’s tallest wooden apartment building is being built. There will be designers and contractors who tell about the building process. Open doors at 16.00-18.00 o’clock.