Joen Yö 2019 – Night by the River Festival
Culture for everyone in Joensuu
The festival will be held on Friday the 23th of August and the events will be spread around the city centre by the banks of the river Pielisjoki.
As always, the event will provide a dose of culture to all the residents around the river city. You can enter your own event by contacting the producer of the festival. Joen Yö -festival provides culture and art spectacles around the city for people of all ages – and with no entrance fees.
The Joen Yö Festival expands this year back to Joensuu's renewed market square, where the Joensuu City Orchestra, the vocal group Kvartsi, the groups Rajatapaus and Saimaa will be on stage. The 35-member City Orchestra opens the Market Square Stage by serving appetizers of its spring programme in two 45-minute concerts. The evening ends with the post-progressive rock group Saimaa, whose gigs are exhilarating experiences filled with pure joy of playing. Watching the performance of the group Saimaa you can get excited by individual playing skills or just surrender to Finland's most attractive groove and start dancing!
MARKET SQUARE STAGE
- 18.00 City Orchestra
- 19.00 Vocal group Kvartsi
- 19.30 Group Rajatapaus
- 20.30 City theater
- 22.30 Group Saimaa
JOEN YÖ BEVERAGE EVENT
Joen Yö offers to beer and wine lovers drinks from the breweries and winemakers in the Market Square with direct viewing of the Market Square performers. The demonstrators from both the local area and elsewhere can tell about and introduce new products and flavours. This time during the event, you don't have to enjoy your drinks from plastic mugs, but drinks are served from deposit glasses. Happy afterwork starts at 16.00 and taps are closed midnight.
JÄRJESTÖBULEVARDI (BOULEVARD OF ORGANISATIONS)
Joen Yö Boulevard of Organisations is filled at 16.00-21.00 with Joensuu-based and North Karelian organisations, with activities of which you can familiarise. The following organisations take part in Boulevard:
- AIVO (BRAIN) - Adult Information, Counselling and Guidance Services: Open University of the University of Eastern Finland and Karelia University of Applied Sciences
- Autoliitto (The Automobile and Touring Club of Finland), Joensuu department
- Project Digituki Pohjois-Karjala (Digital Support in North Karelia)
- Joensuu Evangelical Lutheran Parish Union
- Joensuu Evangelical Lutheran Parish Union / youth work
- Joensuu Evangelical Lutheran Parish Union / early youth work
- Joensuun Partiolaiset ry (Joensuu Scouts)
- Joensuun seudun Vapaa-ajattelijat ry (Joensuu Freethinkers)
- Joensuun Rotaryklubi ry (Joensuu Rotary Club)
- Joensuun Siniset ry (Joensuu Blue Reform Party)
- Joensuun Perussuomalaiset ry (Joensuu Finns Party)
- Joensuun Vasemmistoliiton valtuustoryhmä (Joensuu Left Alliance City Council Group)
- Joensuun Vihreät ry (Joensuu Green League)
- Joensuun seudun erilaiset oppijat ry (Joensuu Association of people with learning difficulties)
- Kadonnut kinnas ja muita tarinoita –research project
- Keskustanuorten Pohjois-Karjalan piiri ry (Center Party Youth of North Karelia)
- Kokoomuksen Joensuun Kunnallisjärjestö ry (Joensuu League of Coalition Party)
- Pohjois-Karjalan historiallinen yhdistys ry (Historic Association of North Karelia)
- Pohjois-Karjalan Kuluttajat ry (North Karelia Consumers’ Union)
- Pohjois-Karjalan Sosiaaliturvayhdistys ry (North Karelian Society for Social Security)
- Pohjois-Karjalan Sydänpiiri ry (North Karelia Heart Association)
- Rantakylän seurakunta (Rantakylä Parish)
- Savo-Karjalan Demarinuoret (Social Democratic Youth of Savo-Karelia)
- Suomen Mensa ry (Mensa Finland)
- Tunturikerho Kumpe
In Ilosaari there is plenty to do during Joen Yö for children, teenagers and adults throughout the whole evening and night! Early in the evening Joensuu Youth Services, Youth Workshop, Luovi Vocational College, Ohjaamo Guidance Services and Mannun Vartijat Role play and LARP Association organise games, handicraft and information activities near the Ilosaari car park. In the Ilosaari lagoon it is possible to try out sup-boarding organised by Arctic Trainers.
Stonehills, Joensuun Puhallinorkesteri, Rivermouth and Rytmihäiriköt climb on the Ilosaari stage. The Joen Yö programme is concluded by Ida Paul & Kalle Lindroth on the Ilosaari stage. The organic sound of Ida Paul & Kalle Lindroth has reached wide audience in a short time. The duo is in high rise, which is witnessed by singles, which have streamed gold, platinum and double platinum, debut album, which is close to receiving double platinum, four Emma-prize nominations and numerous sold out gigs.
Joen Yö official after party in Kerubi Cellar at 00.00-04.30. Free access throughout the evening.
- 17.30 Stonehills
- 19.30 Joensuu Wind Band and Rivermouth
- 21.00 Rytmihäiriköt
- 23.30 Ida Paul & Kalle Lindroth
At 16.00–20.00 free-of-charge sup-boarding offered by Arctic Trainers every half hour.
Handcraft and Culture Quarter Taitokortteli
In the Pop-up Second Hand Shop of Finnish Red Cross you can make bargains for goods from the years past. Exhibition of Joensuu Fly Fishermen in the Corridor Gallery of Mustonen house. Dark deals and discoveries in the Karjalanpuoti-shop. Starting at 15.00 the Sultsina Bar offers Karelian traditional delicacies straight from the pan to be eaten at the spot or taken home as evening snack. The MSQ trio plays saxophone solos at 18.00. Come and see the offering of versatile fall courses! The dark hours of the night at the Café Kauppaneuvoksen Kahvila last until late at night. The Shops of Taitokortteli as well as demonstrators and vendors serve in the yard until 22.00.
TAITOKORTTELI PIHA-AITTA (GRANARY)
Taito Pohjois-Karjala Association’s 110 jubilee – Exhibition Kukkilinnuntie (The Way of the Bird of Happiness).
PERHEENTALO (FAMILY HOUSE)
Open at 9.00–19.00.
JOENSUU CITY THEATRE
Open rehearsals of the Joensuu City Theater in Joen Yö at 18.30 – 20.30: Jeppe Niilonpoika on the big stage (2nd floor) and rehearsal of Korjaamo (Car Repair Shop) on the small stage (4th floor).
Short break in the middle of the rehearsals. Free entrance, welcome!
STREET FOOD CARNIVAL VOL. 7
Street food is served in the immediate vicinity of the city hall by several local restaurants at 16.00-20.00. Prices are low and the going relaxed. This is going to be quite a fun party!
STAGE ON ELIELINKUJA STREET
- 16.30 Set The Tone
- 18.00 Mardi Tickle
- 19.00 Sunnuntaibrunssi
- 20.00 Jankan Eläinpuisto
- 21.00 Böbökkä
Dj KerOne and Riverside Rockers bring Jamaican rhythms to Rantapuisto at 17.00-22.00.
DJ KerOne (Reggae Time)
Local long-time reggae guy DJ KerOne will be playing in Joen Yö a music set taking us for a trip to the Caribbean archipelago. Musical styles ranging from mento to soca, ska to reggae and dancehall.
Riverside Rockers was established in Joensuu 2011 and they still continue to play uncompromising dancehallreggae sound! Dub, reggae, dancehall and the toughest dubplates are the cornerstones of this sound.
REFUGEE TENT OF THE FINNISH RED CROSS
The Finnish Red Cross Refugee Tent unveils the reality of living in a refugee camp at 17.00-21.00. Come to the tent and find out more about the refugees' situation and life. The Refugee Tent is a sensory space that offers sound and images as well as access to objects. You can explore the tent by yourself or with a group. The Refugee Tent consists of a space where sound, images and objects of the refugee camp are produced. You can explore the space with a group or by yourself.
Hobbyhorse track for children and all playful persons and a functional workshop until 18.30.
SUMMER RESTAURANT TUULAAKI
The Blue Notes perform their traditional Joen Yö –show in restaurant Tuulaaki at 20.00. Welcome!
HOUSE FOR PERFORMING ARTS PAKKAHUONE
Work in progress -event “Pyhä mies ja Ilotyttö (Holy Man and a Hooker)” at 17.00-19.00.
An open demonstration of the workshop is based on Indian Sanskrit comedy from the 7th century. Comedy work is directed by renowned Indian artists Surya Mohan Kulhsreshtha (director) and Mridula Bhardwaj (choreographer). The workshop introduces to the North Karelian artists the principles of Natya Shastra, the world's oldest theater theory. We also offer Indian snacks and beverages. There are seats for 22 viewers, reservations by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SCIENCE DAYS IN JOENSUU
In Carelicum starting at 16.00. Hosted by author Antti Heikkinen. Programme for the whole family! Free entrance, welcome!
16.00-16.20 Opening words: Assistant Professor of Social Pedagogy Arto O. Salonen: What kind of courage is needed to make the future smile for you, me and us?
- 16.30-17.15 Science session Courage touches
- 17.30-18.15 Science session Artificial intelligence and medicine
- 18.30-19.15 Science session Heroes and anti-heroes
- 19.30-20.00 Girl energy in popular culture
- 16.00-20.00 LUMA-centre of the University of Eastern Finland organises science workshops suitable for children of different ages near the entrance to the Children’s town Mukulakatu.
- 20.00– Soundscape walking. The soundscape researchers of the University of Eastern Finland Eeva Pärjälä and Noora Vikman organise for the willing a soundscape walking in the Joensuu city center.
At 18.00-20.00 Poem tray. The Friends of poetry recite the poems the visitors choose from the poem lists given out in the auditorium.
NORTH KARELIA MUSEUM HILMA AND CHILDREN’S TOWN MUKULAKATU
Museum and Mukulakatu are open at 10.00-21.00, free entrance during whole day. 1st floor of the museum: Excuse me, are you a popstar? Photographer Stefan de Batselier presents his exhibition in English at 20.00. 2nd floor of the museum: permanent exhibition Matkalla Karjalassa (On the way in Karelia). At 15.00-16.00 lesson of the old Folk school of Utra. Try old-time handwriting, sing under teacher’s guidance and check out the InterActive History -project.
Art Museum Onni
The Art Museum is open at 15.00-22.00, free entrance. The Blue and Red –summer exhibition features colourful, expressive paintings by Nanna Susi and works by Canal Cheong Jagerroos, which combine Western contemporary art with Chinese artistic traditions. Permanent exhibitions include: Finnish art starting from the 1850s, antique and Chinese objects and icons. One of the artists of the summer exhibition, Nanna Susi, is available at the Art Museum at 17.00.
ART MUSEUM YARD
At 18.00 Steelpan band Rosteri plays jaunty and laid-back steelpan music from around the world. Playing of steel barrels with emotion from folk music to rock and roll. In case of bad weather, Rosteri will perform in Ahjo Art Center.
LARGE HALL OF THE ART MUSEUM
- 15.15 Katja’s - Beautiful Raven
- 16.00-17.30 Students and pupils of the Conservatory
- 17.45-18.10 Small Ballet Studio Relevé
- 19.00 Open dance and contact improvisation jam by ISLO (Eastern Finland Sport Institute)
Art Center Ahjo
Art Center Ahjo presents the following exhibitions at 11.00-22.00:
- In Sysi-hall artist, painter Laura Melkinen with her paintings
- In Koksi-hall spatial and performance art exhibition Työmaa 3 by Anna Logrén, Minni Hirvonen and artist-activist Biljana Lori Stankovic
- In Kytö-room Marleena Luukkonen with her portraits of women and nature themed oil paintings
- In Hiili-room Elias Sormanen with his metal sculpture exhibition Superorganism
- Laura Melkinen with her artist presentation between the performances at 16-20
- 16.00 Lauluyhtye Trio Trikolori (Vocal group)
- 17.00 Joensuun Laulupelimannit (Vocal group)
- 19.00 Lauluyhtye Kaiutin (Vocal group)
Remote Stops of Joen Yö
WOUTILA (ADDRESS: TULLIPORTINKATU 14)
In Joen Yö opens the first joint exhibition Mielikuvakaappaus (Image Capture) of Heli Kemiläinen and Matti Salminen. Kemiläinen has been working on detailed pencil work for the last few years and Salminen has become known to the general public as a music maker. For the exhibition has been created a unique series of works, in which the artists have combined their visual worlds by free-drawing collaborative works. Woutila's cellar offers Art Speakeasy - small art presentations under the counter. Woutila is open during Joen Yö at 17.00-20.00.
LOW THRESHOLD SPORTS MARKET (JOENSUU ARENA AND ITS SURROUNDINGS)
In the Low Threshold Sports Market you have a possibility to check out a variety of organisations that offer sports and recreational activities. The demonstration spots are suitable for all ages and are functional, so you can try out the action in practise! In addition to all the fun, the event also introduces the new family sports provided by Matala Kynnys ry (Low Threshold Association). In the Market takes part also Pokali’s (The Sports Federation of North Karelia ) Liikunnan Iloa (Joy of Exercise) tour. The Sports Market is open at 17.00-20.00. Welcome aboard! The event is organised by Matala Kynnys ry (Low Threshold Association) in cooperation with the City of Joensuu.
MEHTIMÄKI ICE HALL (ADDRESS: KISAPOLKU 4)
Joensuu Kataja’s figure and synchronised skaters organise a free-of-charge ice disco for children under 12 years of age and their families. The event takes place at 18.00-20.00 and the entrance is through the main doors of the Mehtimäki Competition Hall. There will be fun competitions and games, stunt tracks, dancing on skates and free skating. The activities are provided by trained coaches and instructors. You'll need skates, a helmet, and exercise clothing. Come to a new kind of event and enjoy the fun of skating! Bouncy Castles Mikon Pomppulinnat are present in the event.
LAULUTALO (ADDRESS: KAUPPAKATU 51)
- 18.00 Presentation of Laulutalo
- 18.15 Joensuun Mieslaulajien seniorit (Seniors of the Joensuu Male Choir)
- 18.40 Buffet
- 18.50 Performances of small groups of Joensuun Mieslaulajat
- 19.20 Joint singing with accompaniment by Joensuun Miessoittajat
- 20.00 Event ends
MAIN LIBRARY OF THE JOENSUU REGIONAL LIBRARY (ADDRESS: KOSKIKATU 25)
Sales of books that have been taken off the library collection at 9.00-20.00 in reading room Vipunen. At 18.00 Quiz by the Association Itäiset Turhan Tietäjät in the Arts square (2nd floor, lending department).
The Culture Open Able Art Group performs in Muikku Hall of the library starting at 16.00. The Culture Open Able Art Group is a creative expression performance group of people with and without disabilities. The group has been assembled as part of the city's Culture Open -accessibility project, which involves people with disabilities and immigrants in cultural services and events. The Culture Open -project started in October 2018 and will run until the end of 2020. Culture Open Able Art Group is led by dance and performing artist Minni Hirvonen.
- 15.00 Fairy tale virtuoso, Arja Lytsy, fairy tale theater
- 16.00 & 17.00 Antiloopinjalkaiset minuutit (Antilope legged minutes) –dance performance, Culture Open Able Art Group
- 18.30 & 19.00 Unilinnun vastaanotto (Dream bird’s reception)
JOENSUU EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CONGREGATION CENTER (ADDRESS: KIRKKOKATU 28)
At 16.00-18.00 Donkkis Big Night –functional event for families. Programme includes fun action spots, Bible teaching, Saku and Ruut, music, lotteries and prizes. Juice and snacks.
JOENSUU CHURCH (ADDRESS: PAPINKATU 1B)
- 19.00 Concert. Tuomas Pyrhönen, piano and organ, and Anneli Hynninen, vocalist.
- 21.00 Joen Yö mass with ecological theme, liturgy by Salla Romo and sermon by Pauliina Kainulainen.
We are setting up a table for 100 people on the bank of the Pielisjoki River, where we invite you to enjoy a joint dinner, beautiful surroundings and good company at 19.00-21.00. There is also a picnic area on the lawn. Live music and joint singing. Each person brings his or her own dinner with dishes. The event is open to everyone. We hope for a clear August evening, but be prepared for the weather. The event is organised by the Lutheran Church in Joensuu / Pielisensuu Parish.
YHTEISÖTALO SATAMA (COMMUNITY HOUSE) (ADDRESS: YLÄSATAMAKATU 28)
- 13.00 Irina by the piano, joint singing
- 15.00 Yhdessä & omakätisesti (Together & by own hand), community art á la Com Art Lab
- 17.00-18.00 Duo Sepeli (guitar) & Heli (vocalist), music from here and there
Opening of art exhibition in the living room of Satama. House open at 12.00-19.00.
ORTHODOX CULTURE CENTER (ADDRESS:KAUPPAKATU 44)
Open at 17.00-20.00. Guided tours in the Seminar Church on the hour. Free admission to exhibitions.
JOENSUU BUNKER MUSEUM (ADDRESS: VIRRANTAUS 7)
- 16.00 Welcoming words by chairman and wreath laying
- 17.00 PhD Virpi Launonen lectures on her doctoral dissertation about the maintenance and recreation of Salpalinja fortress sites in North Karelia and South Savo in 1940-41
- 18.00 Music
Programme also includes laser-shooting and guided bunker tours, small snacks and beverages.
EVENT GARDEN BOTANIA (ADDRESS: HEINÄPURONTIE 70)
- 12.00-15.00 Art workshops for children in Botania outdoor gardens
- 19.00-21.00 Group Haamurakastaja on main stage
The kitchen serves an early fall season table at 17.00-21.00. Admission with Botania Card or Botania single ticket.
RESTAURANT LA BARRE (ADDRESS: TORIKATU 21)
Heavy Jams vol. 7 of Susiraja Metal Club. Metal and rock cover songs with awesome background band and changing vocalists. Tickets 2 €, doors open at 22.
TEDDY BEAR HOSPITAL, TERVEYSTALO HEALTHCARE (ADDRESS: KAUPPAKATU 21)
Does your teddy bear have a wound in his paw or owie in his eye? Come and we in Terveystalo Joensuu take care of your soft toy.
CAT CAFÉ UPSTAIRS OF JUKAN ANTIIKKI SHOP (ADDRESS: ITÄRANTA 14)
Organisers Kypsät Tammat Association.
MARTHA CENTER (ADDRESS: KOSKIKATU 5-7)
Open doors at 16.00-21.00. Welcome to visit us and familiarise with the versatile activities of the 120 years old Martha organisation department of North Karelia! In addition we offer you information and tastings of the natural products of the year, which, this year, are cranberry, velvet bolete and rosebay willowherb.